Jun 7, 2014

NextStep

In college at the University of Minnesota I was strongly considering between purchasing a NextStep versus a Macintosh machine for schoolwork and personal use. Since we used Macs at the U.S. Bureau of Mines, I had access to a variety of software, compilers, and documentation. The NextStep would have been more interesting but had much less software, a smaller range of peripherals were available and the only store was the University's. At the time they were about the same price ~$3,000. So I often wonder what that experience would have been like. The Postscript display sounded cutting edge. But I also wonder if I'd be off on my own for system problems, much like in linux where you might have to search, tweak, recompile a hardware driver just to get it to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment