Jan 19, 2020

Art critique

I object to the aesthetics of Keith Haring's three-eye smiley face. While this might have been created as part of an attempt to invigorate art into an urban pop-shop setting, it seems crude to me. When I saw this piece in Syracuse, NY I have to say it was appalling that this seeded to be given such precedence in the musuem - I believe it was a huge piece, larger than a square meter covering a third of a wall. While I appreciate many modern artists, to me this seemed crude, and I only imagine the other talented artists that have been lost to time because this artist was chosen to represent the community here.

This has for me stood up there with the most overvalued art, along with the scrap paper collections of Herbert and Dorothy Vogel. They overpaid for their lined-paper scribblings from various artists.

Surprisingly there are multiple artists that claim to have done the three-eyed smiley face. No these aren't deep mind, spiritual third eye renditions. Eugene Stetz also claims to have drawn three eyed smiley faces.

No comments:

Post a Comment